(1) The person who leads a congretional (jamaa) prayer
(2) The Muslim leader who runs the Masjid (Mosque)
(3) A Khalif (leader of the Muslim peoples)
(4) A normal leader of Muslims, but this leader usually provides at least some spiritual guidance
(5) Any one of 12 infallible members of the Ahlulbayt (family of the Prophet) (AS). (Shia)
(6) Any one of the 4 recognised fallible grand scholars of the Ahlul Sunnah wal Jama`ah. (Sunni)
(7) Any scholar who is deemed educated enough, usually a mujtahid
(8) An `Alim
(9) An Ayatollah
(10) A Mufti
(11) A person who is given the special status of Imam by God; e.g. Prophet Abraham (PBUH).
(12) A book containing the record of a persons deeds is called an Imam in verse 17:71 in the Qur'an.
Of these, numbers 1,2,5 & 6 are most correct to use.With Shia books and websites the word Imam is most likely to come under the meaning mentioned in 5; whereas Sunni websites refer to point 6, and sometimes 7.
Welcome to the Islamic-Dictionary.com website!
Please register on the website so you can become part of the Islamic-Dictionary.com global community. If you register you can make suggestions to change the meaning of existing words in the dictionary if they're not up to scratch as I'm going to be reviewing the dictionary over the next few weeks. If you want to suggest some new words you think we should add then please use the contact us tab.
If you like something on the site then Facebook share, Tweet or Digg it to get your friends to know about it. And if you have any suggestions, advice or would like to put up content on the site then you can email me firstname.lastname@example.org .